'Harry Gordon Dorrett, Also Taking Part', by Ralph Rimmer
The Biography of
H. G. Dorrett
Who is Mr Dorrett? The Early Years The Photographer Business Success Photographic Success Acknowledgments
Mr. and Mrs. J. Pegrum;
Mrs. Marjorie Chorley;
T. Herbert Jones FRPS;
Mr. R, Shaw, Reference and Local History Librarian, Wandsworth;
Mrs. P. Roberts, Curator, Royal Photographic Society;
V. T. Sampson FBIPP;
The staff of Surrey Records Office, Mitcham Library, Croydon Library, the London Guildhall Library, the Lambeth Reference Library and the Battersea District Library
The Battersea District Library Wandsworth and Mrs J. Pegrum are thanked for permitting the reproduction of photographs in their collections.
1. Flukinger, R. , Schaaf.L., and Meacham, S. 'Paul Martin. Victorian Photographer' Austin: University of Texas Press, 1977; London: Gordon Fraser, 1978. The most scholarly account of Paul Martin's life. With references and annotations.
2. Jay, Bill. 'Victorian Candid Cameraman: Paul Martin, 1864-1944'. Newton Abbot, England: David and Charles, 1973. With clear dating of events in Martin's life and details from Martin's 'Diary'—but without references.
3. Martin, Paul. 'Victorian Snapshots' London: Country Li fe, 1939.
4. The Photogram. October 1899, p. 319.
5. The Photographic Gazette. The Journal of the West Surrey Photographic Society, Vol. I , No. 1.
6. The Amateur Photographer. 'Societies Meetings' October 15th, 1896. p. 324.
7. Photography. October 16th, 1896. p. 674.
8. Photography. November 19th, 1896. pp. 754-755.
9. The Amateur Photographer, February 10th, 1899.p. 109.
10. Nollet, Susan. 'The Ever Changing Face of Bellevue Road, SW. Unpublished study in Clapham Junction Library, Wandsworth, Local History Section.
11. British Journal of Photography, July 5th, 1902. p.423.
12. Beaton C. and Buckland, G. 'The Magic Image' Boston: Little, Brown & Co. 1975. p. 91.
13. British Journal of Photography. March 4th, 1927. p. 125.
14. British Journal of Photography. Mews and Notes. March 17th, 1929. p. 157,
15. Mitcham News and Mercury. July 31st, 1942. p.5.
16. Montague, E. 'Manor House Waits for a New Owner' . Document L2(728)MAN. Mitcham Public Library, London Road, Mitcham.
17. Mitcham News and Mercury. August 22nd, 1958. p. 6.
18. Derived from lists of members of the Royal Photographic Society which were kindly supplied by T. Herbert Jones FRPS.
19. Pickford, S. G. ' 100 Years of Photography' Croydon Camera Club, 1990. pp. 43; 50; 51; 52; 55.
20. Harker, M. Professor,Hon D Art, Hon FBIPP, FRPS. Personal Communication. 29th May, 1990.
21. The British Journal Photographic Almanac, 1950. (Pictorial Supplement. Photograph: No. 27). London: Henry Greenwood & Co. Ltd.,1950.
22. Witkin, L. D. and London, B. 'The Photograph Collector's Guide'. London: Seeker * Warburg, 1979. p. 188.
21. Browne, T. and Partnow, E. 'Macmillan Biographical Encyclopedia of Photographic Artists and Innovators' New York: Macmillan Publishing Co. London: Collier Macmillan, 1983. p.396.
21. Rosenblum, N. 'A World History of Photography' New York: Abbeville Press 1984 pp. 248; 262; 263.
25.'Royal Academy Exhibitions' Vol.5 London: EP Publishing Ltd. , 1973 p. 215.